Guide To Hiring Reputable Calgary Basement Renovations Contractors
We may need to renovate the basements of our homes or commercial building at one point. While selecting a qualified and competent contractor for your Calgary basement renovations, use all available resources at your disposal. Word of mouth from previous clients, the Internet, and information found from listing agencies are helpful tools. How can one get a qualified and competent Calgary basement renovations contractor?
However, the challenge comes down to narrowing on the potential candidates. Here are few tips that will guide homeowners and other people seeking similar services.
The rule of the thumb is that all contractors must be licensed. It is recommended that one should request for the business license number of the contractor and confirm with the local licensing office. It is written law that all contractors should be licensed.
During the renovations, something may go wrong. It is for this reason that the contractor should have property damage and public liability insurance. While at it, confirm with the local insurance provider to verify is the policy is valid and effective. Medical insurance is another basic requirement. Avoid dealing with uninsured contractors to avoid legal suits in case he/she sustains injuries while working on your property.
How long have they worked? Are they familiar with the kind of project being undertaken? Can they name people they have worked with in the past and showcase their previous works? Renovating a home costs a fortune. You do not want someone doing shoddy work only to incur more costs while repairing the damage. It is important that homeowners verify the information and carefully analyze the works done in the past. Also, experienced contractors are better placed to advise and offer suggestions.
Assessing the bids
While assessing the bids placed by potential qualified contractors, the following factors should be considered:
- Avoid dealing with contractors who ask for large deposits to purchase materials. As a matter of fact, a reputable contractor should maintain charge accounts with the suppliers.
- Be wary of contractors who ask the client to pay the entire amount upfront.
- Deal with a contractor who accepts various payment modes besides cash only.
- Contractors who give vague contracts and written bids should be ignored.
- There are contractors who will pressure their clients to hire them or offer discounts for hiring them on the spot.
- Lastly, avoid contractors who offer a post office box address or answering machine as the only contact detail. A reputable contractor will offer a working telephone number and email address too.
It is important to note that the lowest bid is not always the best bid. Careful examination of the bids should be done. Look out for:
- The best services offered
- The highest quality of materials used
- The most experienced
- The contractor who appears capable of meeting your expectations and beating the deadline
Get a written bid and contract form
The written bid will contain details of how the contractors will carry out the project. The contract is a binding agreement between the two parties